With the beginning of the New Year underway, many people are focused on their New Year’s resolutions. It’s a time when people are focused on their goals and everything they plan to do. Unfortunately, in the commotion of focusing on oneself, drivers tend to forget about routine car maintenance and service items we must complete throughout the year.
Your car is likely a big part of your life if it is your main mode of transportation. As such, you need to ensure you’re taking care of it and that it is in tip-top shape year-round. Fortunately, taking care of your vehicle isn’t too difficult if you can take it to a trustworthy mechanic like the ones at Dave’s Auto Repair.
Yet, what can be challenging is knowing what vehicle services you need to have done in the New Year. Luckily, that’s where the team comes in, as we’ve listed a few vehicle checklists you should follow throughout the New Year.
Vehicle Service Checklist For Every Month In The New Year
Below we’ve briefly detailed the vehicle service items you should consider doing every month in the New Year.
- Checking tire pressure and tread depth: It’s an excellent idea to check your tire pressure and tread depth every month with a tire gauge and tread depth gauge. Even if you don’t often drive, checking the depth and pressure of your tires will alert you to unsafe wear and tear and when they need to be replaced. A professional can check your tires for bubbling, punctures, and balding if you don’t know what you’re doing.
- Examining oil and coolant levels: Regardless of how often you drive, it’s a good idea to always have a professional check your vehicle’s oil and coolant levels. If you don’t, you risk running out of these necessary fluids at the least opportune time.
- Checking brake lights, headlights, and turn signals: The various lights on your vehicle are important, and it’s crucial to make sure they work to ensure your safety. If, after inspecting your vehicle, you notice any of its lights not working, it might be time to consider taking it to an expert that can replace any blown bulbs or fix any faulty wiring.
Vehicle Service Checklist For Every Three To Six Months In The New Year
Every three to six months, you need to check certain things on your vehicle and maintain it. Below we have listed a few of the vehicle service items you might want to get done by a qualified mechanic:
- Rotate your tires: Unfortunately, even if your vehicle has a good alignment, no vehicle is ever perfectly balanced. This leads to uneven wear on different spots of your tires, so you need to rotate them every three to six months to help them wear evenly. Rotating them will ensure they have a longer lifespan and keep you safe.
- Test your vehicle’s battery: Extreme hot and cold weather can damage a car’s battery and shorten its lifespan. That’s why it’s important to have your vehicle’s battery tested every three to six months by a trained mechanic. If you don’t, you risk your car not starting one day and being potentially stranded.
- Change your oil and oil filter: Depending on how often you drive, you’ll likely need to replace your car’s oil and oil filter every three to six months or 3,000 to 5,000 miles. If you don’t, you could end up with oil that’s thick and full of debris that cannot adequately reduce the heat and friction of your engine’s moving components.
These are only a few vehicle service items you need to have done in the New Year. Should you want to learn more about the other things your car needs to have done, you can speak with one of our expert mechanics at Dave’s Auto Repair.
Our mechanics have experience completing services on all vehicle makes and models, so we can assuredly help you. Simply contact us here, and we’ll be in touch.